I've had this post started for a few weeks now. There is so much to say about Adeline.
She is 3 1/2 but she is big for her age and acts older much of the time. Folks have asked us a lot this summer when she'll be starting kindergarten. Hmm, not yet, preschool, yes. Her maturity has made it hard to take her 3 1/2 year old moments. I forget sometimes that those moments are age appropriate. But it's also made me realize just how much has changed in 3 short years and now more than ever living and enjoying the moment (as much as I can) feels pressing. Already, when she says things like, "I'm not going to talk to you right now" or "I'm not going to say" when we ask her questions I get visions of my 16 year old daughter. Ah! I know she's realizing, now, that she has more choices, more control, and she's playing around with it. It's good practice for us, I guess, figuring out how to build and deepen and grow this relationship, respectfully and lovingly, with guidance and boundaries so that when she is 16 we'll be ok! Well, probably crazed a bit, but ok!
She's especially exerting this newly realized power with Elliott. She loves him and she loves to exert her big sisterness on him, for better or worse,whether she's moving his body from one place to another to dictate his play or leading him outside just to come back inside to play by herself or taking the toys he chooses for himself but throwing a serious fit if he does the same to her. Oy, such an interesting dynamic. But she also loves on him and cares for him and assures him,
"Big sister is here, Elliott. It's ok"
"You want mama? She's right there."
"I can carry him, mama. Here Elliott."
Our fish!
Our climber! And check out that facial expression. She's full of great expressions and hand gestures!
We were looking at pictures of Addy when she was a baby and she said:
Where was elliott?
He wan't bornyet.
He was in your belly?
No
But he was in your belly?
Yes, he was an egg in my belly.
How do you make eggs?
Well your body makes eggs. And you have eggs in your belly already, but they won't be babies for a long, long time.
I have eggs?
Well, in your ovaries. They are right here (I point to general ovary area)
They'll be babies when I'm 7?
No, that's; too young. You have to be older,
18?
No, still too young,
65.
Whoa, that's too old. your eggs will be too old then.
Geerrrosss!
He wan't bornyet.
He was in your belly?
No
But he was in your belly?
Yes, he was an egg in my belly.
How do you make eggs?
Well your body makes eggs. And you have eggs in your belly already, but they won't be babies for a long, long time.
I have eggs?
Well, in your ovaries. They are right here (I point to general ovary area)
They'll be babies when I'm 7?
No, that's; too young. You have to be older,
18?
No, still too young,
65.
Whoa, that's too old. your eggs will be too old then.
Geerrrosss!
and
Addy says things like "Sure" and "All right" which sound so grown up. We needed to leave to head out for the day but Addy hadn't eaten a very good lunch. She wanted to take her soup with her but I thought it wouldn't really travel very easily. So she said,
I suppose we could leave my soup and take my sandwich.
No comments:
Post a Comment