This two kid gig is kicking our butts! It's not just the interrupted sleep (and don't let anyone fool you into thinking that all babies, let alone 2 year olds, sleep through the night); it's the intensity of giving yourself 24 hours a day every day. It's figuring out how to do or be the many roles we play without losing it.
Adeline is a spirited child who needs lots of choice, time, routine, encouragement, reassuring, and lots and lots of snuggles. Striking the balance of freedom and independence with reassurance and dependence from us is not easy, for toddlers or even adults sometimes!
Elliott, well, he's three months old, and needs to nurse and sleep and be snuggled and have some floor time so he can practice rolling over.
Mostly we go about our day happily, despite of or sometimes because of exhaustion, with some super intense and super sweet moments interspersed. Super intense moments usually arise when the needs of both kids are hard to meet, like when both kids are crying simultaneously about very different things or when both need to be carried or when I melt because all I want is a nap or to make some decent food for us. The most challenging moments are when I hold any expectation for what is to or should happen. But the super sweet moments come just at the right time, when I need the reminder to live in the moment and soak in the love and goodness of our children, and sometimes these super sweet moments even make us cry, like when Addy says:
"I love you papa all the morning."
"I love you Elliott" and she snuggles him.
"Don't cry Elliott. Is goin to be fun. Mama and Papa here." (in the car on the way to the farmer's market)
"You help me, mama. I help you."
"I nurse you Elliott" and Addy proceeds to try to nurse Elliott. "No Elliott, milk is here," pointing to her chest!
Or when Elliott smiles a sweet smile that melts all the tension or tiredness away for a moment.
They are a blessing, these little ones. Beautiful blessings.
1 comment:
Beautifully written Kim! I can't wait to see you and your crew next week! Elliot looks like a charmer!
Post a Comment