So every year for the past three years Jason and I have revisited our stance on the holidays. It's become a bit foggier now that we have kids how we'll celebrate holidays and has really caused us to think about our beliefs and how they intersect or don't with cultural norms. Neith
We also wanted to do something intentional for the solstice this year and I've been searching for a meaningful way to honor my mom as a family, something we could do together, a tradition. We've been reading holiday and wintery type books from our special basket (another tradition we've started). One is called The Night Tree and it's about a family that goes out into the woods at night on Christmas Eve to decorate a tree with fruits and nuts for the animals.
And so we strung cranberries and popcorn and made pine cone bird feeders and decorated the tree that stands by mom's stone at the cemetery. It was exactly what I had wanted and really needed. The morning we were stringing the cranberries and popcorn, we were again listening to some holiday tunes on the radio (ok I've got the Christmas bug, I admit it) and our dear friend Noah Kaminsky, famously known as Neil Diamond, came on. Mom loved Neil Diamond, something we made fun of her for but also enjoyed. I have fond memories of singing and dancing to "Sweet Caroline." It was perfect and brought tears to my eyes for the second time that morning. Addy asked, "Are you ok mama"
"I'm sad, Addy."
"Why?"
"I miss my mama."
"It's ok mama, you'll see her again someday."
1 comment:
Oh, Kim. Considered yourself hugged in a very big way. I love your family, and I hope you continue to find peace and goodness in every corner. xo
Post a Comment