12 January 2013

Five. Part three: For Mom

"When I miss her, I go barefoot. I understand now that a bit of her remains with me. She tucks herself into the folds of my skirt. Buried in the dirt under my fingernails, she laughs with the wisp of hair freed from wind. She finds my heart to bring me perspective. It's then that I'm able to see how far I've come from where she once stood.  Look deep to find your roots. Look deeper to find the mud from where you grow. Nothing is forever. Yes, mothers die too young. And yet there is still so much life waiting to sprout and grow. Beauty waiting to be seen. All things lost come back to you." (Meredith Winn, Taproot Issue #1)

At the service at the funeral home my sister and I each read something we wrote.  I am so thankful that my sister wrote an original poem to share and inspired me to do the same. I used an existing poem to help me with the format of mine.

For Mom
Inspired by "For my Mother" by Michelle Wolf 
from When I am Old I shall wear purple.

I am honored to
sharpen more and more to your
likeness every year, your mirror
in face, autonomous 
laughter, hearty and contagious
In broad shoulders, curved pinky, torso
curve of hips, strong legs, big feet
I watch my aging face,
In a speeding time lapse,
Become yours. Notice the eyes,
darkened circles, heavy with inherited 
wear. The inertia of compassion, keeping it
within, holding tight, being strong
There are no limits to the broad
sweet, perpetual smile, beyond the
groves along the mouth
Grip my hand, mom
Let me show you the way
To recognize what we are born to,
Let me reveal to you the strength
you give, the courage to give and
love others, laugh and love freely
GIVE
Mom, let me show you how and where you
live in me.



1 comment:

Mid-life Midwife said...

In tears here. Thank you for sharing such intense emotions: grief, anger, love, gratitude and more. Lots of love and light to you. I've no doubt your mother is very present in every day, and she is overflowing with pride for you as a woman, wife and mother. All women who know you experience fIrst-hand, your kindness and Grace. And that is such a blessing. Xoxo