Wow, I have so much to say about Addy, her growth, her spirit, her verbal skills, her fire and passion, her interest in both make up and high heels and Laura Ingalls Wilder. I bought her some tinted chapstick after she kept drawing on her face with marker in an effort to wear make up. It continued so I bought some watercolor pencils to use as face paint. I don't wear makeup. I wore it once since Addy has become aware of the 'ways of women', to a fancy wedding we were going to earlier this summer and even then it was limited. Most of the moms we hang out with don't wear make up. None of the kids or even big girls we hang out with wear make up, but my kid is determined to wear make up and when I fight it, like this morning, she paints her face with nail polish she's stashed in one of her purses. Yes, today I attempted to get gold, glittery nail polish off my sweet girl's eyebrows, eyelids, and lips. Let's just say it's off, but there were many tears along the way. I was saying goodbye to a neighbor friend who comes over as a mother's helper and when I turned back around from the front door I noticed Elliott had a 'golden' shoulder. The bathroom door was shut and I heard the water running. When I opened the door Addy was feverishly rubbing her face with water trying to get the paint off as it had started hurting as it dried and began pulling her eyebrow hairs. I have to say I lacked the compassion I would have hoped to have mostly because this desire to be what Addy sees as a 'grown up' girl is driving me nuts and I badly need some perspective. Moms with girls, please help! Any tips you have would be greatly appreciated!
It has been a tough few months, some serious growing pains together, especially with a mom whose patience wears thin quite easily these pregnant days. This new phase is complicated both individually for Addy and in her interpersonal relationships with parents, friends, peers, boys, brother. And I feel totally ill equipped to handle it right now and of course in my worst moments panic that I am going to ruin her or our relationship and in my best take it in stride. Phew! Sometimes I feel like I am parenting myself, both my little self in Addy, and my adult self. Ok actually most of the time I feel that way. Parenting is a tremendous opportunity to examine and reflect and grow and change. Sounds great, eh? It sure ain't easy.
Here are some pics of what Addy has been up to!
dance class....very low key dance atmosphere. and a fun dance show at the end. So proud of my sweet one on stage, She loves to dance, and perform but for herself or small groups and I wasn't sure what might happen on a big stage with a big audience. They all did wonderfully!
1 comment:
I know that this post is about Addy, but I just have to say, I LOVE Elliot's fairy wings . . .
Post a Comment