25 October 2011

Let's Pretend

Lots of pretend playing going on here. It's pretty amazing and fun to watch these elaborate stories get played out. Much of what Elliott pretends is based on characters from books we've read. He's very much into all things fire and will mostly only let us read him the 'fire' pages out of the Richard Scarry books. He enjoys playing either Chief Smokey or Sergeant Murphy. But there are many more common pretend characters including, D.W. (from Arthur), Laura or Pa (from Little House), Arthur (from the Arthur the monkey not the Aardvark books), Diego (pronounced "eggo") or Dora. We of course also, by default, become these characters' friends or family. My favorite is when Elliott was Arthur (the monkey), Addy was Violet, and Rose was Baby King Kong. Our Halloween costume is inspired by the most common pretend playing Addy and Elliott do together.....you'll just have to wait for our Halloween post, which will probably be many days after Halloween!

At any given time Elliott will be in character, but we don't know it until we call him by the 'wrong' name.
"Hey Elliott"
"No me Elliott, me Eggo."

or sometimes we think he's in character but he corrects us...

"Hey Laura"
"No me Laura."
"Who are you then?"
"Me Elliott"

3 comments:

Lauren said...

that is such a cute picture . . .where do you get all the dress-up clothes? I think it is so cool that Addy and Elliot have so much fun playing together

jt said...

Some of the dress up clothes are borrowed from Addy's preschool. They have themed dress up bags the kids can check out. Others are thrift store or resale shop finds... it is pretty darn great how enthralled in play they get with each other. Why is it sometimes so hard to remember those sweet moments amid the fighting ones? Ug, I think I'd handle the fighting better if I practiced stepping back and taking a breath first!!!

jt said...

Some of the dress up clothes are borrowed from Addy's preschool. They have themed dress up bags the kids can check out. Others are thrift store or resale shop finds... it is pretty darn great how enthralled in play they get with each other. Why is it sometimes so hard to remember those sweet moments amid the fighting ones? Ug, I think I'd handle the fighting better if I practiced stepping back and taking a breath first!!!